Thursday, July 03, 2008

Barukh Dayyan Emet: Shimrit Is Gone

A few hours ago I received the sad and shocking news that Shimrit Ginott, the amazing woman who took a large tract of waste land in my neighborhood and made it into a blossoming community garden, passed away yesterday after having been fatally injured in an auto accident.

Just last Friday, Shimrit hosted a group of approximately forty volunteers from Argentina who came and helped clear the garden of tree branches that had been chopped down and left there. I wasn’t with her that morning, but my friend, who was there, said that she looked so happy as she guided the volunteers and told them the history of the garden.

Shimrit was instrumental several months ago in fighting a particularly invasive construction plan in the area. Ironically, the reason I could not go to the hearing at the municipality was because I had to attend a funeral.

Unfortunately, it looks like I won’t be able to make it to Shimrit’s funeral tomorrow. But I will be attending the shiva, which will be held in the garden that she built from nothing with her own two hands and that she loved with all her heart.

I like to think that Shimrit, our wonderful community gardener, is now enjoying the fruits of her labors in an infinite, Divinely-planted garden. Rest in peace, Shimrit. You will be much missed.

Barukh dayyan ha-emet. Blessed be the True Judge.

(Here is my post about Shimrit’s garden from April 14, 2007.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. If you're a spammer, don't waste your keystrokes. If you're a real, honest-to-goodness commenter, welcome!