Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Miriam Makeba, RIP

Miriam Makeba, the well-known South African singer, died last Sunday, November 9, 2008, aged 76. She collapsed while giving a concert, which turned out to be her last.

The only song of Makeba’s that I knew, “Pata Pata,” was a part of my childhood. At both Jewish summer camps that I attended, it was a staple in the folk-dance repertoire, and even the efforts of our head counselor to remove it from our customary Friday night Israeli dancing eventually failed. We just liked it too much.

I still remember that 45-RPM recording with its strong opening notes. (Heck, I still remember the dance!)

As fate would have it, “Pata Pata” was the last song that Makeba ever sang.

You can listen to the original 1967 recording here.

I never knew Miriam Makeba, but she gave joy to my childhood. May she rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. If you're a spammer, don't waste your keystrokes. If you're a real, honest-to-goodness commenter, welcome!