Sunday, March 29, 2009

Rhymes with “Pretty”

I’ve been sick all this month.

It started with a sore throat that wouldn’t go away. At one point, during the night it got so bad that I went to the emergency clinic. They did a throat culture. It turned out negative. The diagnosis: a virus. Nothing to be done, and it would go away in its own sweet time. They recommended painkillers.

The pain in my throat decreased but remained steady for some weeks afterward. I went back to my doctor, who took another throat culture, which also turned out to be negative.

Have I mentioned that I really, really dislike throat cultures?

And then, before the pain in my throat fully went away, things started to heat up last night. Literally. To the tune of a one-hundred-degree fever (thirty-eight degrees Celsius), and sinus trouble.

I have skin cream, eye pillows and a soap batch to make, and some sewing to do. I was going to do all of that, or at least most of it, tonight after Shabbat. And, of course, there’s work. But the way I’m feeling now, there’s no way I can do any of it. A fever makes it impossible for me to focus enough to get anything done. (It’s taking me lots more than effort than usual to write this post.) Plus, it hurts.

I’ve been told that there are all kinds of viruses going around, and that lots of people have been sick for a long time. I have to admit that it’s slightly comforting to know that I’ve just got something common, but still, it’s no fun at all.

So how do I feel?

See above title.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. If you're a spammer, don't waste your keystrokes. If you're a real, honest-to-goodness commenter, welcome!