Friday, February 26, 2010

The Difference a Week Makes

Last week, I went for a hike in the Judean hills. Here are some of the pictures I got.

First of all, a general idea of the setting. A ruin, possibly from the Byzantine era:

Ruin with tree

The hills, with blossoming almond trees:

Almond trees with hills

In a meadow near the trail is a grove of date palms. Hardly any light reaches the ground there, in dramatic contrast to the sun-drenched hills:

Date palm grove 2

Three trees on top of a hill, with stone ruins:

Stones, trees, sky

This gorgeous blue-and-white butterfly was flying around and about. It finally lighted on an oak tree and stayed still long enough for me to take some pictures. This is the best of the shots I managed to get:

Blue butterfly

A scarlet pimpernel, face upturned:

Looking upward

A tzaharon (Barbary nut)—or, as I like to call it, a baby iris:

Tzaharon

The trail that I was on features two springs. Here is clear water emerging from one of them:

Water from the spring

Here is the tunnel of the second spring. It’s high enough to walk in if you have the proper shoes. (I didn’t, so I didn’t go wading. Next time, maybe.)

Tunnel entrance

A meadow with lupines and almond blossoms:

Meadow

An individual lupine:

Lupine with leaves

A Small Pheasant’s-Eye:

Small Pheasant's-Eye

Returning to civilization, a still parade of bicycles:

Wheels

Back in Jerusalem, a lizard on a stone wall:

Lizard 2

Hard to believe it was a week ago. We’ve had steady thundershowers for almost an entire day! (Thank goodness. We need the rain desperately.)

Sleet on Emek Refaim Street earlier today:

Sleet on Emek Refaim Street

More rain and sleet:

Rain and sleet

Finally, something unusual that I saw downtown today: soda-water bottles from 1965! (Wow—they’re as old as I am!)

Soda bottles from 1965

(Click on any photo to see a larger version. For all the pictures from my hike in the Judean hills, click here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. If you're a spammer, don't waste your keystrokes. If you're a real, honest-to-goodness commenter, welcome!