Friday, May 28, 2010

The Wanderer

Just as I was getting ready to go to bed a little while ago, I heard meowing in the stairwell. Thinking that perhaps one of the local strays had become trapped in our building, I opened my door in order to go downstairs and let it out.

Imagine my shock when a lovely tortoiseshell cat with white paws walked into my apartment and started sniffing around!

She was not wearing a collar. Fortunately, I realized immediately that she belonged to the couple who live in the apartment directly below mine. I picked her up gently, reassured her that all was well, and made my way down the flight of stairs. Luckily, my neighbors were still awake. I put the cat down, and she waited politely at the door. I knocked, and the husband answered.

“Is this your cat?” I asked him.

“Yes! Thank you so much! I’m sorry for any trouble that you went to,” he said.

“It was no trouble at all. I’m glad she’s home,” I said, and headed back upstairs to tell the story...

... and go straight to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. If you're a spammer, don't waste your keystrokes. If you're a real, honest-to-goodness commenter, welcome!