Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Irony behind Glass

There is an artistic exhibit of manual typewriters at my workplace. It’s been in place for some weeks now, so I almost don’t notice it on my way into and out of work.

Today, on my way out, I noticed the exhibit and joked with the security guard about our fossil collection.

Typewriter exhibit

He said, “I want to show you something. Have you looked closely at one of the typewriters?”

He told me which one to look at, and I went closer.

Pre-war typewriter

Look over the number 3. (Click to enlarge.)

SS symbol over number 3

That’s the SS sign. The SS.

My first reaction was: “Oh, my God, what’s this doing here? They should take it out and burn it!”

But then I had another thought. The Nazis, may their names and memories be obliterated, had plans to build a museum of the “vanished Jewish race,” and had done their murderous best to make us disappear.

They failed, as do all the enemies of the Jewish people. Today, proud, free Jews can look at this relic of their vanished regime behind glass in downtown Jerusalem.

I have no idea whether the artist knows it’s even there. In any case: take that, antisemites of whatever stripe. And then, if I may quote the Yourish.com mantra, just die already.

But don’t worry. We’ll take good care of your old typewriters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. If you're a spammer, don't waste your keystrokes. If you're a real, honest-to-goodness commenter, welcome!